1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

Vaping with asthma

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Gabby, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Gabby

Gabby Member

A few years I was diagnosed with adult onset asthma, after many years of smoking 25/d. As you can imagine this severely restricted my smoking. I can now smoke about 10-15/d with few problems, but more is a real risk.
    So I recently turned to vaping to reduce and hopefully replace my smoking, which is working quite well on the 'reducing' front at the moment. I sussed out the research on this, and the results appear to be about the same as vaping in general, ie it's a bit soon to tell, but its much safer than smoking.
    Many don't realise that 50 years ago, smoking - a few a day - was prescribed by doctors for some asthma patients, and cigs were even provided in hospitals. Sounds ridiculous, but there you go. (Also malaria was prescribed for syphilis patients, but we won't go there.)

Gabby

Old Grump, Maria, Flea and 1 other person like this.
  2. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Hi Gabby,
    You must be nearly as old as me as I remember that stuff.
    Most of the stuff is really stupid but just think for yourself

I think that you do, so take care and flourish..

Old Grump likes this.
  3. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

The PG/VG ratio can be important for people with existing lung problems. VG appears to affect people with COPD and PG seems to affect people with asthma. Have you read the research from Ricardo Polosa on lung improvement with vaping?

Maria likes this.
  4. Gabby

Gabby Member

Not Polosa specifically, but his papers appear to be typical of current findings. I'm quite happy with the 50/50 ratio of PG/VG at the moment. I don't have any trouble with MTL, only direct to lungs (likewise with smoking).

For me, vaping definitely has fewer bad immediate effects than smoking, so I'm very encouraged.

margyb, Maria and Judith like this.
  5. Maria

Maria Senior Member

Good to hear Gabby:)

Old Grump likes this.
  6. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

from this link

https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12916-015-0298-3

"Asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) are progressive diseases characterized by persistent inflammatory and remodeling responses of the airways causing respiratory symptoms and progressive decline in lung function [17,18]. Although it is well-established that the inflammatory response to cigarette smoke plays a key role in COPD pathogenesis, increased morbidity and mortality have been reported in asthmatic individuals who smoke and quitting can significantly improve asthma symptoms and lung function [19]. Consequently, smokers with preexisting asthma and COPD may benefit from regular EC use. In the only clinical study conducted to ascertain efficacy and safety of EC use in asthma, substantial improvements in respiratory physiology and subjective asthma outcomes have been reported [20]. Exposure to e-vapor in this vulnerable population did not trigger any asthma attacks."

Old Grump and Judith like this.