1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Vaping with Uncle Sam

Discussion in 'Your Story' started by Gasman, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I fly out with the family to America tomorrow for approximately 3 1/2 weeks for a long awaited and paid for holiday of a lifetime which I'm very much looking forward to. We actually were married 18 years ago and didn't have a cent for a honeymoon or anything and then with kids,living expenses and life in general it never happened so this is it. With the exception that we now have a couple of extra tagging along which in my opinion couldn't be better.

Considering my current circumstances it's definitely bad timing but as I say it's been a long time in the pipeline and quite honestly bugger it life's too short. It's worth it alone to see the kids so excited and if I nothing else it's an experience that they will always remember.

Therefore I shall be posting from LA,NY and Las Vegas in the coming weeks. As I have also moved into the current century and own a smart phone I shall be hopefully able to take some pictures whilst out and about.
    I intend to visit as many vape shops as possible and have actually emailed one in Las Vegas with a question in regards to being able to taste some 'famous juices'. I was worried that as the new FDA laws are disallowing vendors from offering advice or free tasting it would now be impossible to try anything. I saw a video from P.Busardo (I think) where he said that as long as a customer was charged something for a tasting session then it was not free and therefore legal. This has been confirmed by a vendor called Vapestreet who does seem to have quite an array of stock and juices. They replied saying for the cost of $1 I could stay in the shop and taste all day long if I wanted and to mention the email when I went in.

I'll probably take them up on that!

Anyway I'll try not to bore anybody and if I'm able take as many pictures including inside vape shops.

KayP, MetalOz, Steve Thomas and 14 others like this.
  2. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Have a fantastic time Gasman! Holidays are good for bribing/forcing teenage kids to spend time with you...and as you said it's an experience with their parents that they'll always remember.

Don't think about anything stressful for the next three and half weeks.

Bon voyage! :cancan:

KayP, margyb, Pippi and 4 others like this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Thanks Jennifer.

I'm hoping I've managed to get enough in place to hit the ground running on my return and will certainly do my best to enjoy my time and put the last few weeks behind me.

4. DogMan

DogMan Yes

Eat a bagel in NY. Make sure vendor is jewish. Embee wisdom.

Wish I was going to N.Y.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

KayP, Pippi and Gasman like this.
  5. Christina Ballerina

Christina Ballerina Senior Member

Have the BEST time Gasman. We only live once (as far as we know).
    Most of my happiest memories are holidays with my kids, nothing can take that away from me.
    One that always sticks in my mind is my youngest daughter who was less than 2 years old when we went on a camping holiday to Brittany in France, we drove close to the sea and she said "Mummy can I go into that big swimming pool" lol.
    Unfortunately eventually your kids will leave, which is exactly as it should be. It is so hard to let them go, but I guess that is life.
    We don't own them, but God how I miss them, So make the most of these precious times x

KayP, Pippi, Gasman and 1 other person like this.
  6. embee

embee Senior Member U.S. Correspondent

Bon Voyage, Gasman. :clap:
    I haven't spent much time in NYC in years, but there are some classics you have to try.

https://www.katzsdelicatessen.com/address For meaty sandwiches, hot dogs, and knishes. Have a reuben for me.
    http://www.russanddaughters.com For the best bagels with smoked fish and anything else you can think of. Great for breakfast.
    http://www.johnsbrickovenpizza.com/directions.html One of my favorite places for a slice...but really, good pizza is everywhere in NYC
    https://www.shakeshack.com/locations/ For burgers and other yummy stuff that the kids will love.
    And if you like Chinese, head to Chinatown and pick the smallest, dingiest looking place you can find...there are 3 or 4 places that no tourist would walk into based on the looks of them but believe me, the small places with no fancy signs or anything to attract tourists are the best places to eat. Then ask for directions to the Chinatown ice cream factory for great non-traditional flavors. The best green tea ice cream I've ever had.

KayP, margyb, Pippi and 5 others like this.
  7. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Travel safe mate :) Enjoy the U.SofA!
    Looks like the doubler I sent you will be well steeped by the time you get back ;)

KayP, Pippi, Gasman and 1 other person like this.
  8. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Have a great time Gasman. Looking forward to the pics and the travel diary. Love vicarious travel.

9. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

Have a wonderful time gasman. Enjoy it.

Pippi and DogMan like this.
  10. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Thanks embee.

I guessed NYC would be a good place for some pizza and I'm betting they're a bit more tasty and generous with their toppings than Dominoes.
    My wife and daughter love Chinese food so I'll mention your suggestion to them.

One question... What's a Reuben?

embee and DogMan like this.
  11. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Thanks Rupert and I'll ensure my Inlaws keep an eye on the letterbox!

rupert likes this.
  12. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Also I'd just like to send a general thanks to everybody for all the kind words.

embee, rupert and Judith like this.
  13. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Reuben - one of the best sandwiches you will ever have!!!!

Also, if you are in Anaheim, stop in an check out Tony Roma's - its a steakhouse and ribs joint that blew me away with the portion sizes and americanistic meals!

embee and Gasman like this.
  14. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Oh and Applebees - you can get a bucket of burgers.... Whats that, yes I said it.... A BUCKET OF BURGERS!!!!

Have a blast man, look forward to seeing your travel pics!

KayP, MetalOz, embee and 1 other person like this.
  15. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Surprised you haven't created a juice to replicate one of the meals you enjoyed!

I did go to Holywood about 16 months ago and was also blown away by some of the meal sizes.
    Certainly nothing flash but we went to a Denny's and the breakfast we received would have filled me up for a week.
    Two plates loaded to the point of overflowing and I only ordered bacon and eggs!

Everything seemed to come with waffles.

KayP, embee and rupert like this.
  16. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Haha, yep memories!
    IHOP pancakes at 4 in the morning as a pre-hangover cure = priceless :D :D :D

KayP, MetalOz, embee and 1 other person like this.
  17. embee

Rye bread, a mountain of corned beef or pastrami, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and special sauce.
    If you like that kind of thing..Katz's is famous worldwide for it. And one sandwich there is definitely big enough to feed two.
    I've driven 2 hours in to the city just to eat at Katz's in the past.

KayP, sirfoxey, rupert and 2 others like this.
  18. embee

Oh...IHOP is awesome. And if you want some chain restaurant goodness, Cracker Barrel has some great greasy spoon American grub. And they're everywhere.

rupert and DogMan like this.
  19. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Happy Travels Gasman, looking forward to photos and updates :)

20. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Just arrived in the apartment in LA. Approximately 26hrs door to door and absolutely knackered as I didn't get a lot of sleep.

Flights were pretty good apart from a very worrying burning electrical smell in the cabin about 1 1/2 hours out of Sydney. I immediately checked the 2 egos that were in my hand luggage thinking I've done everything right but no problems with them thankfully.

Quite a few worried faces around and the staff were checking all the overhead compartments. Transpired to be a blown breaker by the ac according to them.

The weathers certainly a bit warmer than Perth has had lately. My time clocks completely kaput and the current time here is 9.15am.

Not going to put our heads down because we will all just crash out. The idea is to go down to Hollywood Blvd, go as long as we can and then collapse later.

26 hours without a vape wasn't easy.

rupert, Pippi, Judith and 4 others like this.