What are you looking for in a tobacco flavour?

Discussion in 'Juice Chat' started by rupert, Oct 11, 2016.

1. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Wetness, dryness?
    How about a little bit of vanilla, or perhaps caramel?
    Or fruits?

What about a Buttered Raisin Toast Pipe Tobacco?

Help me out people :)

Pippi likes this.
  2. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Good on you Rupert.
    The least considered question in juice making circles, is finally put front and centre.
    I am a tobacco flavours devotee, and have mourned its lack of attention.
    I look for anything that tempers a tobacco flavour.
    In mild tobaccos, or even flue cured types, I'll look for small levels of sweetness, easily obtained with sugar derivatives (caramel, sweet cream or dulce de leche types) but with stronger tobaccos, cubana, perique etc, where there is a component bitterness, I'll look for stronger, more highlighting sweeteners to offset, like double apple, peach, and even licorice.
    Bakery flavours soften every tobacco blend I've ever mixed. Mrs A describes my ADV, as like walking into a cake shop after a nice pipe tobacco smoker has just left it. I variously use acetyl pyrazine, cinnamon danish, yellow cake or graham cracker singly or in combination, for this effect

Gasman, Pippi and rupert like this.
  3. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Thanks mate :)

Its something I have been pondering for a while.
    Im not a tobacco vaper by any means, with just about all of my mixes being sweet.

I am chasing trying to perfect a butterscotch turkish style tobacco at the moment, which is proving challenging :)

So light tobaccos - light sweetness.
    Heavy tobaccos - more sweetness and bakery fruit to compliment the deep flavour.

Thanks Aqua
    :thumbup:

Aqualung likes this.
  4. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

I recall a recipe by 'gtadmin' in another place, which I quite liked, 2.5% each of blackfire, cream and butterscotch.

edit. PS, I did try maple and butter with cavendish style tobacco, so yeah, I'd probably try buttered raisin toast pipe

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    rupert likes this.
  5. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

I have used small amounts of vanilla custard , french vanilla , fennel , hokey pokey and caramel in my nets .
    All worked out ok .

rupert likes this.
  6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Hmm I can't give too many of my secrets away, otherwise anyone could mix up Noe's juices ;)

However, I do like vanilla with some tobaccos but not with others, fruits with some but not with others, some work well with bakery notes, others work well with chocolate or a combination of chocolate & bakery.

rupert likes this.
  7. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz Member

Dry! Tobacco is loaded with sugar already and then there’s the VG to contend with.

I really love the taste of tobacco, so tend to let the steeps talk for themselves but have dabbled with a hint of vanilla, tart apple, citric acid or very bitter coffee.

My problem is finding flavouring that isn’t synthetic (as it all tastes like piss cookies to me) - an authentic maple or cinnamon would be outstanding.

Next steep I will try some bay leaf or coriander seed in a steep...

Noe, rupert and Pippi like this.
  8. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

So far I have only liked one Tobacco/Fruit flavour and that is Noes Cherry Cigar. for the most part I like Tobacco as a pure flavour with zero sweet stuff.
    Plenty of Icky sweet juice on the market - big gap for those that can create a beautiful Baccy flavour without the frills. :)

Noe, rupert and Aqualung like this.
  9. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Yeah, I loved his cherry cigar as well. But then, I really liked Bewdy too. Every time I think of getting more, I get distracted by some other recipe idea. Its been a long time, thanks for the reminder.

Noe, Pippi, rupert and 1 other person like this.
  10. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

I must order some too - been meaning to for yonks.

Aqualung and rupert like this.
  11. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I still hanker (reminder to self,ensure spell checker hasn't changed last word) after that certain aahhhhh feeling that I used to get from the exhale of a cigarette. Probably while I enjoy NETS so much.
    I tried a recipe off;

6% FW Virginia Fire Cured Tobacco
    1% FA Golden Rollie
    1% FA 7 leaves

And I enjoyed it but I had a thought to try the same recipe with some Inawarra DNB (dirty neutral base) as it's supposed to add that smokey ashtray taste.

I followed advice from various articles I'd read and mixed up my base using 1% of this in it.
    It certainly made a difference and must be strong stuff as it added some of the elusive aahhhh that I'd been chasing.
    My next attempt I may try and up it to 2% and see how it goes.

I know it's impossible to exactly match that cigarette taste but this helps. Therefore I guess what I'm trying to say is an authentic smokey type taste.

Double check spell checker.....yep safe to post.

Pippi and rupert like this.
  12. Noe

Yep I mainly enjoy Dry tobaccos & most of my creations, including the Cherry Cigar that @Pippi mentioned are on the dry side. There are a few exceptions to that, Royal Cavendish & RC banana, as well as Melonbacc but those would not be the same if they were dry, Cavendish tobbacos are supposed to be sweet.
    Cherry Cigar is aromatic & semi-dry, with no sweeteners added, the Cherry I use to add to the tobacco took me months to perfect to get that authentic Cherry Cigar flavor (which is more like the flavor of it unlit), you will not be able to simply buy any cherry flavor & add it to a cigar flavor to recreate that same authentic scent (trust me months of testing proved that to me).

Bewdy, which @Aqualung mentioned is more of a dry, inoffensive (not heavily scented) tobacco, which pairs well with a lot of food/beverages & is very versatile. When drinking different characteristics of Bewdy some through when drinking different beverages coffee, different types of alcohol (beer, wine, spirits, perhaps not all types though) or even fruit juice pair well with it, it's my ADV & has been for years for a good reason. My other tobaccos, I sometimes switch to for a change but Bewdy is one I always have at least 1x 30ml on stand by, steeped for at least 2-3weeks to bring out the full flavor of it, the older it gets the more in depth the flavor becomes up to 6 months. Six month old Bewdy is simply divine!

*Apologies if this post seems like an ad, that is not how it was intended.

13. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

:rofl::rofl: <shameless plug> :rofl::rofl:

Also, I want 10% of all sales made form this thread :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pippi likes this.
  14. Noe

It's hard to explain without actually describing the flavors LOL
    I'm sure I'll net 0 sales from this thread so you can have 10% of that :p

15. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I was only mucking about mate :)
    I have seen your flavours list and it is evident that a lot of time and expertise has gone into them.

EDIT - oh, and I appreciate the detailed descriptions, as that is the kind of info I wanted to come out of this thread.
    I am not a tobacco vaper, so it is difficult for me to translate flavour profiles for tobacco based juice.

Pippi likes this.
  16. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

What are peoples thoughts on RY4 Double from TFA?

Any recommended additions?

Pippi and Aqualung like this.
  17. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Yup.
    Used it in a Deadly Sin clone, RY4 double 10%, Cinnamon Danish 5%, and Yellow Cake 5%, and didn't like it.
    Used it in a Tribeca clone, 12.5%, with Graham cracker 2.5%, pyrazine 2% and ethyl maltol 3% and loved it.
    I think the message is don't add too much sweeteners.
    For my taste.
    I reckon

18. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Awesome, Ive been using it at about 6-7%, but it looks like I can up that a bit, particularly if adding caramels that might sweeten up the profile :)

Pippi likes this.
  19. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Those recipes were fairly old, before the more efficient atties in use now Rupert. The caramel was pretty strong. Not sure about adding more. For my taste. Total flavours in those at 20%, whereas I'm now mixing more in the 15-17% range. If that makes sense?

rupert and Pippi like this.
  20. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Yep, makes perfect sense.
    I follow a formula of generally mixing between 5-15% total flavour components depending upon the mix.
    I might stick with 6-7% for the time being then :)

Aqualung likes this.