1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

What was your first modification to, or DIY ecig?

Discussion in 'Modding and Technical' started by DogMan, Jul 30, 2015.

1. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Feel free to move this mods, just a fun, free flowing thread?

Mine was converting a straight drip tip to fit an iclear30. I think the dt was from an older, non 510 attie, but not sure.

So what was yours? blue foam and tea bags? Or something more advanced?

Jennifer likes this.
  2. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Does straightening an Ego 1 that I dropped, count?

By the time I arrived on the scene, there were so many good tanks and mods that I could never be bothered trying to DIY when it comes to hardware. If a piece is not working for me, I'll buy another type or brand and move it to the pile of 'to PIF' (with warnings as to why I am not using it myself).

3. Angela

Angela Rebel Against the Sewing Machine

The fishtank filter mod. And I was so wise I bought myself a lifetime's supply of fishtank filter, lol.
    It was a technique one of the youtubers came up with to replace the wicking material inside the old 510 cartridges. Cigalikes were 3 piece affairs then - the battery, the atty and the cartridge. Soon after someone invented the 2 piece cigalike and the atomiser and the cartridge were combined to create the "cartomiser". It was real cutting edge at the time. Nowdays newbies seem to be starting off on subohm tank kits from the get go. Those were like science fiction 3 years ago.

4. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Taking out and cleaning the dangly cotton wick material in a CE4 in the days that I loved DeKang chocolate that was nearly black in colour and would go all crusty near the top coil.

margyb and DogMan like this.
  5. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Mods? Well, I drilled air holes around the top dress ring of a few vamos - to let air in when bottom breathing toppers sat flush on the Vamo dress ring. (Carto tanks for example)

My first DIY was dry burning coils in EVOD attys. And replacing the "flavour wicks".

Hardly anything earth shattering or innovative.

margyb likes this.
  6. Browny

Browny Senior Member

First step was pretty low key, drill out the air holes in some Evod's.

First DIY, I haven't had a chance to get into it further as yet but I have made a pocket sized unregulated specifically for a PT2. hard wood, side-by-side, 18350, as small as I could get it just to suss things out. Actually turned out better than I was expecting, works really well and weighs bugger all.

Nico and Laughter and DaveJ like this.
  7. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I remember that mod, a lifetime supply of "blue foam filter" cost me about $1 LOL
    I tried the LPTB (Lipton Pyramid Tea Bag) mod too in my 3 piece atty, I think that was my first attempted mod.
    Basically you took a plastic drinking straw, bought a box of Lipton Tea & used 1 of the tea bags as the wick, the straw supposedly helped hold juice in & transfer it to the tea bag material. What I discovered was, I really hated cartridges & ditched them in favor of direct dripping into the 510 atty, which was the birthplace of todays RDAs.

8. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

First Modification: Drilling out the Airflow on a couple of clone Nautilus tanks, wasn't brave enough to do it to my real ones. Good thing too, it opened up the AF a little but led to some really loud whistling. I've learned to live with the airflow...
    First DIY: Chopping off a bit of wood, sanding it down a bit, drilling a couple of 510 sized holes to fit my driptips/attys on. It works and was free, aint all that pretty though...
    Gotta start somewhere!

Browny likes this.
  9. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

First mod, going back some time to KR808 style first gen cig-a-likes, and when they were "New Kit" - taking apart the carto's, and repacking the filler materials.
    I recall that the coils then couldn't be replaced without totally buggering up the carto - so removing the "wicking" material was about as good as it got for extending the life of the carto's.

It felt so MacGuyver doing this back then.
    I stopped this once I got a 510, and started on bridgeless drippers (are those even still a thing???)

Browny likes this.
  10. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

Yeah I've got a few of them, bought them for flavour testing, but they just don't give off enough flavour and dry burn so easily. Not awful, and kinda handy when you just want to see if a juice is in the ballpark, flavour-wise. Less useful if you are comparing batches of similar recipes, just doesn't give you enough of an indicator for what the juice will end up tasting like.

11. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

My first MOD was drilling out the Air Holes in an IGO-W to !!! 1mm !!! (Noe was there, helping me along the way! OnYa NOE!)

[​IMG]

12. taffyjock

taffyjock Member

First mod I made was from a £shop emergency phone charger, the 4xaaa jobbies.

I removed the USB port & replaced it with a cigalike adapter that fitted a 510.

6volts on a CE2 I thought was the dogs danglies.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Cloudy, Browny, emu and 2 others like this.
  13. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

I made the holes bigger in my K1s and increased the airflow in the endura. That's it, Sorry:sorry:

14. emu

emu Banned

I changed my driptip a while ago.

15. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

Be careful not to overdo it.

Cloudy, Browny and emu like this.
  16. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

More pictures=better thread

I have made no modifications...:cry:

Browny and emu like this.
  17. Browny

Browny Senior Member

I will try and hunt down some pics, but never took pics of my 'modifications' as I didn't think it important enough lol.
    until then, my little pic to the left is my one and currently only full diy.

But yes, more pic's is always a good thing....always.

Cloudy and emu like this.
  18. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

My one and only modification was drilling out the airholes in the clearo that came with an MPV2. Can't remember that name of the clearo but I still use the MPV as a power bank.

taffyjock, Browny and emu like this.
  19. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

Grinding the ring off a mod to enable larger atty. ( crap do you think I can remember the name of that thing ) :winky::winky::winky:
    It was in the pif box at Christina's vape meet !

emu and Cloudy like this.
  20. taffyjock

taffyjock Member

That'll be the iclear 16/16b or 30, used to drill out evods & protanks til they made airflow controllers for them, then drilled them out too.

Loved the MVP mine survived being run over by my car, a swim in the sink & a 20' fall off a ladder, that my wrist didn't, learnt lesson not to vape & clear gutters.