why is my kangertech topfill leaking so badly through the air holes ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware Discussion' started by crispernator, Jan 4, 2017.

1. crispernator

crispernator Senior Member

Hi all need some advice i have a kanger tech topfill subtank and it is leaking like a sieve through the air intakes ,i have it set up with the rba and coil ,i asked my local guy and he said it is probably my wicking just wondering if anyone else has had this problem at all ? i know it is a older tank and there are probably better on the market but my old nautiluss mini works better than this thing .

2. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

I dont remember having a problem with mine but I no longer have it. I think @Jerry Hatrick uses them and might check in at some stage.

3. snuffy

snuffy Guest

I see it all over the web, kanger seems to have nailed how to leak really well.

crispernator likes this.
  4. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

It really is just the wicking and filling with these toptanks that causes the issues .
    You MUST cover airflow holes when taking top off to refill - always leave a small gap of air in the top ( otherwise when you screw the top back on , you force your liquid out the air holes ) - and screw top down quickly when filled . Some people turn them upside down when screwing back on.
    If this still causes leaking then it is the wicking ! Check you tube vids for various wicking guides.
    If after all this you still have trouble I have been advised if you treat the top tank just like the normal subtank (ie unscrew the bottom) it helps with the leaking issue.
    I have switched my top tanks to " plastic bell " tops and have had no probs using these. Cheap as chips from F/T .
    https://www.fasttech.com/p/2378805
    Yes I know it defeats the toptank bit but much better in the long run.
    Yes I did also have trouble with toptanks, not anymore.

Gasman, Noe, crispernator and 3 others like this.
  5. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Good on you Jerry :)

crispernator and Flea like this.
  6. crispernator

i bought the toptank to upgrade from my sub tank but the subtank is crapping lla over it at the moment as i said even my little ol nuti mini shines more than this damb thing ill check the videos out jerry do you use the bell cap with your rba ?

Gasman, Pippi and snuffy like this.
  7. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Crispy you might need to tag Jerry or reply to his comment so that he sees it :)

8. snuffy

snuffy Guest

You worry too much Pippi, he'll see it.

9. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Nah not worrying just helping Crispy - there is a difference Snuffy - dont you worry yourself about me.

10. snuffy

snuffy Guest

OK pippi :)

11. crispernator

thanks pippi how do i do that i am a computer dunce

Gasman and Pippi like this.
  12. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

just do this symbol @ and then start to type Jerrys name - when it appears just double left click on it. or if you are commenting on a previous post of a member just go to that one and hit reply - make your comment and they will see it. :)

Flea and crispernator like this.
  13. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Glad I'm not alone.
    I call myself a techno turd.
    In answer to you question. Yes you can use the bell tank with the RBA. I use mine quite frequently and agree with Mr. Hatrick in that they're very good value and well worth it.
    Sorry to jump in uninvited as I'm obviously not Mr.Hatrick.
    I'm nowhere near as handsome or generous.

Noe, Flea, Jerry Hatrick and 2 others like this.
  14. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Some will consider it very old school but bugger it in my opinion if it works and I enjoy the vape it provides I'll keep using them.
    I have two and will probably buy some more soon for what they're worth.

[​IMG]

So simple and inexpensive.
    Can't go wrong in my opinion.
    Again apologies to Mr.Hatrick but I'm sure he won't mind if it helps.

Jerry Hatrick, Pippi and crispernator like this.
  15. crispernator

Gee i glad im a member of this site thanks guys and gals im gonna get the some with the pirate on it arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr hahahahaha take pity on me .

Gasman, Jerry Hatrick and Pippi like this.
  16. Jerry Hatrick

No apologies needed Gasman .
    Crispy I have been using the bell tanks for about 5/6 weeks , Just yesterday ordered 4 more !
    They are perfect for the top tank as it takes all the leaking issues out of them ! Well they have for me. plus I am sure you can fit a little more juice in them. (stand to be corrected )
    Yes they work fine with the RBA head as that is all I use.
    As gasman said they are bloody tough . So ideal for a clumsy old fart like me. Worth every cent just to make the toptank more user friendly.
    I was disappointed with the toptank compared to the mini .

Gasman and Pippi like this.
  17. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Lol, Pmsl !

crispernator likes this.
  18. Jerry Hatrick

"I'm nowhere near as handsome or generous."

Gasman, mate it could be time to have your eyes checked !:sillygrin::rofl::sillygrin::rofl:

Noe, Flea, crispernator and 2 others like this.
  19. crispernator

i have 4 in my cart at fastech and i just bought all these fancy coloured glass ones grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Flea, Pippi and snuffy like this.
  20. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

With nearly all RBAs leaking is mainly due to wicking issues.
    Wicking is an often overlooked aspect of rebuilding, I see it time & again in YouTube vids, where the rebuild focuses on the coil then glosses over the wicking, perhaps showing the length to cut but not putting much info about correct tension of the wick inside the coil.
    Almost without exception your wick should be very snug in the coil & take some effort to pull through a little but should not be tight enough to move the coil at all, once you get this right for one Atty/build you will know how to get it right for nearly every build.
    There are some exceptions but they are not common to this rule of wicking.

The next thing with wicking is to ensure there is no strands of wick in or around your air flow holes on the deck.

Lastly you need to ensure there is sufficient wick to allow juice to flow through the wick holes, without letting through so much that it floods & leaks. Too little or too much wick in the juice flow slots is the cause of most RBA issues.
    If your coil has a small inner diameter & large wick slots, then you may need to add extra wick after passing your wick through the coil, to the ends to slow juice flow. Likewise if your coil has a large inner diameter & your juice flow slots are small you may need to remove some wick from the ends.