1. Rest in peace, Aqualung. Thank you for the magic.
    Dismiss Notice

Wires, Wires, Wires, which which type, gauge.....ok just help this n00b

Discussion in 'Temperature Control' started by sirfoxey, Mar 11, 2016.

1. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

OK so I have a Wismec Reuleaux RX200 which I have been using pre-built Ni200 coils with my atty's that have temp coils available. The atty's in my arsenal are the, Crown Uwell, Tobeco super Mini, and Aspire Atlantis 2 tanks since purchasing my Rx200

I have now finally managed to become successful in repeatably building my own coils with consistency in the usability of the coils to use in my RTAs and RDAs. So I have now for the most part shelved my Atty's which use pre-built coils in preference for using my rebuildable atty's.

I would like to now start down the path of building my own temperature coils. While I am getting great flavour from my current handmade coils, I did notice the increased flavour when moving to the Ni200 coils and hope to replicate this with my own handmade coils.

So my question here to the veteran vape gods of VCA, which type of wire do I buy, what gauge and what other wisdom can you share?

The rebuildable collection of atty's I have in my arsenal are:

RTA
    Ctulhu RTA V2
    Crown Uwell RBA Deck (Currently on slow boat from FT)
    Kanga Sub Tank Mini RBA Deck (Currently on slow boat from FT also)

RDA
    Wotofo - Troll
    Council of Vapour - Royal Hunter

RTDA
    Sigelei Moonshot RDTA (Currently on Pre Order and then the slow boat from FT)

Sidenote: The Reuleaux RX200 supports Ni, Ti and SS in TC Mode.

2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Ti 28G is what I have & use for TC but a lot of vapers are also using SS wire ( which I have no experience with).
    Ni wire has a metalic taste I can detect (I am sensitive to Nickel apparently), Ti wire does not, although Ti wire is harder to work with & get right at least compared to Kanthal (which is similar to SS wire).

So I would avoid using Ni wire, because if I can taste it, even though I am sensitive to it, then there could be some of it in (oxides) the vapor IMO.
    Ti is proven inert in our bodies & it is why it is used in hip replacements etc, SS has nearly the same properties as Kanthal & the 2 main metals in both to make the alloys is almost the same in %s.

MetalOz likes this.
  3. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

Everything I have been reading suggests the Ti route and says it is harder to work with. Nothing that I have read seems to indicate what harder to work with means, there is no comparisons. Is it like harder in comparison to picking up water using your fingers compared to a carrot, or harder in comparison to picking up a ice cube than a bean with chop sticks? If you see what I am trying to get at :p:sillygrin:

4. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

I guess my other question is what sort of ohm's should be I aiming at. If I like to vape my RDA's at around 0.2-0.3 with a high VG 80/20 70/30 mix, but my RTAs at a 70/30 mix at around 0.5-0.6 using kanthal. How does that relate to using Ti wire, at all the pre-built coils are normally with the Ni ones around 0.15 which I have found vaping at around 280-290c at about 40w seems to be about right, but having not been using them for nearly as long as I have been the stock standard coils. When DIY'ing my coils I have been using http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp on my laptop or the MicroCoil Pro app on my phone to work out the right details for my wrappings for the desired ohm's I am aiming for. Both have Ti options but I have no idea the ohm's I should be safely aiming for if it isn't a 1:1 thing

5. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

I think that the tc wires are more difficult than kanthal just because they are springier. They are more keen to remember where they were before you bent them, and they are pretty keen to get back there.. I also had to make spaced coils cos any attempts (by me anyway) at contact coils, led to unstable resistance readings. 12 spaced wraps of 28g nickel got to be pretty big, and difficult to fit sometimes.

DogMan and RC. like this.
  6. RC.

RC. Senior Member

I use Ni 200 , tempered , and it is easy to work with and very accurate . I also use Ni 200 annealed for Genisis atties with great success.

Also I tend to use SS 316 L a lot and this is good stuff. I use it in Temp mode and plain watts mode. Again, easy to work with.

I tried Ti and personally don't like it much but it works well but can be a bit springy when coiling.

I tend to use 26 and 28 gauge size a lot, but like to muck about with different things.

7. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

Appreciate the info guys, will have to head down to a B&M store this weekend and get myself some some Ni and Ti from the sounds of it can try both. As once again with all things vaping there is no hard and fast rule on what is the best option. Other than the one fact that we all agree on:
    That. Vaping is by far better in every possible way than tobacco Smoking :)

Gasman likes this.
  8. RC.

RC. Senior Member

All the wires are good in their own way, they all work and vapourise the nic so it is really just personal preference in the end.

Gasman likes this.
  9. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

TI wire you need about 1 extra wrap per coil to get the same resistance as Kanthal.

10. Aussie

Aussie Senior Member

The Ni 200 26g is very easy to use. It stays in place and doesn't have a mind of its own.
    I can't compare it with the others because I haven't used them as yet.

sirfoxey likes this.
  11. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Has anybody seen any Stainless Steel Clapton wire for sale anywhere?
    Preferably in Australia.

I have seen it on FT I think but if I'm right it's always out of stock and I'd rather buy it here anyway.

I've experimented with kanthal and seem to enjoy it so was thinking about trying it in Stainless.

Thanks in advance.

12. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

Google led me to ebay. Quite spendy though. I'd say give it time to catch on if you want a local vendor to stock it. Or send some requests. The well known vendors are pretty good with reasonable stock requests.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Gasman likes this.
  13. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Cheers Dogman and good advice, I'll do what you suggest.

14. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

So that means if I were to experiment, start off with SS as its adaptable to TC and plain vaping (VV)?
    Im always a fan of less junk in your cupboards.

15. RC.

RC. Senior Member

SS is my favourite these days.

I still use other stuff because I have lots of wire, but SS is really versatile stuff.

I would say to go for it.

Aussie likes this.
  16. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

I have years worth of TI, Kan and NI wire and will do for the foreseeable future as 90% of my coils these days is SS

17. emu

emu Banned

Yeah my favourite is SS 316L low carbon :)

18. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

SS 430L seems the new thing for nickel sensitive folk

[​IMG]

emu likes this.
  19. emu

emu Banned

Gold would be nice

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

DogMan likes this.
  20. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

There are mods that can do it. I read of someone trying gold plated something and being impressed. Not sure what the core was.

Only a few mods do it by default. Assuming you could program others.

Just buy the wire from jewelry making suppliers or florists.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Flea likes this.