Youde Simba Tank - Ceramic, TC and Rebuildable Tank.

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by rupert, Apr 25, 2016.

1. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

As promised, my review of the Youde Simba Tank I won on here through the competition from @heaven gifts

Ill prefix this by saying I am generally not a tank man. I prefer drippers for flavour, vapour production and ease of use.
    I have vaped on Subtanks, Atlantis', Bellus, TVF4, Griffin, Crown, and others. I am familiar with tanks, but choose not to use them mostly as they don't fit my personal preferences.

Therefore, I went into using the Simba with the mindset that it would have to be pretty dang great to get a good review....
    And, well, it was.

I'll start with the opening of the tank box.

The tank came well presented, in sealed original packaging.

Box:
    [​IMG]

All the kit included:
    [​IMG]

Came with spare glass, o-rings, and condensation catcher.

Also, came with two pre-built coils, and the RBA section:
    [​IMG]

ABOVE LEFT = ROCC coil - ceramic and cotton wick with installed Kanthal 0.5ohm dual coils.
    ABOVE MIDDLE = SCC coil - a stainless steel 0.5 ohm coil with ceramic wick.
    ABOVE RIGHT = The RBA section, which can be used in either dual or single coil mode, with a ceramic piece akin to that of the avocado to block one side if required.

Disassembled tank with coils:
    [​IMG]

The tank had no visible machine oil, and everything looked ready to go, but I gave it a quick wash none-the-less.

I will add that the tank was extremely hard to pull apart the first time. It may have been machine tightened. Once I managed to get it apart, the threads smoothed out, and it has been easy to pull apart and reassemble since.

Upon opening, I noted that the tank was marked with the word "Sample" on it.

[​IMG]

The juice control holes are huge, and when put together, adjusting the juice control and airflow is simple.
    Airflow is adjusted by turning the bottom ring.
    Juice control is adjusted by turning the glass section of the tank.

I should add that the drip tip also has a close off, which can be adjusted to minimise spit back or achieve a tighter draw. Photo below shows this (apologies for the quality)...

[​IMG]

All testing on this tank was done with various flavours of my own DIY liquids, 70VG/30PG at 1mg.
    I trialled the tank on two 50W devices, one 75W device, and one 150W device.

First, I loaded the ROCC in, priming the coil and filling the tank.

ROCC - Cotton/Ceramic Shell Premade Kanthal Dual Coil:
    The ROCC was a PITA to get fitted properly. While I didn't get any dry hits, it didn't want to sit properly for me, and I mucked around for a couple of hours before getting it seated properly.
    I will say that this turned me off initially, but, once I got it, it was a really pleasurable vape.

The 0.5ohm dual coil kanthal set up is great. The cotton wicks well, and it didn't burn out at all in the time I had it in.

I pulled it apart after 24 hours and put in my own 0.12ohm Ni200 coil, wicked it up with muji, and put it in TC mode at 220deg C. Again the tank kept up nicely.
    The rebuilding of the ROCC was super easy, even more so than the Kanger coils.

For the no fuss vaper these coils would be great (my better half liked the coil and the fact it was replaceable), but I personally would only buy them to have on hand in case I needed a quick replacement.

SCC - SS316 Ceramic Premade Coil:
    The SCC slotted right in, and with multiple juice holes in the coil shell itself, I didn't have the "seating" issues I found with the ROCC head.

This was my introduction to using ceramic wicking material, and it is a different monster.
    Flavour was good (I was wary as cotton is my friend), and the coil kept up with me at all wattage, and when I tried to break it by chain vaping. SCC coil = 1, me = 0.

The coil is rated between 40-50 W in power mode, and I pushed it to the full 50W with no dramas, save it was quite a hot vape. I found my sweet spot at 40W, where the flavour and temp of the vape was extremely enjoyable.

I can safely say that while I was hesitant on ceramic at first, it was quite a nice experience.

Rebuildable Section:

Firstly, I tried an MTL setup with a single 1.2ohm kanthal (32G) coil fitted, airflow halved both at the bottom of the tank, and in the DT.
    I am not an MTL vaper, but this performed as I would expect. Not too harsh, didn't heat up, and produced nice flavour (with vapour reduced as would be expected).

I then loaded in a kanthal (24G) dual coil build, coming to 0.45ohm. This is where the tank SHINES!!!
    It was pretty easy to wick, with four distinct spaces for the wicks.I ended up chaining out the DT here to a standard 510 without airflow control.
    Beautiful flavour, great vapour production, and wicking kept up with everything I put it through including chain vaping.

I trialled a second build, which was a little lower than my standard, with the build coming in at 0.27ohm, which I put through its paces at 65W.
    The tank continued to perform amazingly, not heating up, no dry hits, although guzzling juice like it was the antidote. Clouds were "total-clouds-bro" but the flavour was definitely sacrificed.
    I won't do a build this low again, but it was an interesting experiment.

[​IMG]

Holistically:

The drip tip adjustable airflow was great when I trialled the Mouth To Lung (MTL) capacity, but started to annoy me once I put a lower resistance setup in, and so I changed it out in the last 24 hours for a different standard 510 drip tip. The DT control effectively means that only half the diameter of the DT is open at any given time, and was therefore restrictive.

The ROCC coils were OK, but the SCC coil was great. Ceramic exceeded my expectation, and I will buy more when they become available.
    The RBA section is where this tank really comes to life.

PROS:
    -Top fill.
    -Range of coil choices.
    -Handled EVERYTHING I threw at it, including a 0.27 ohm dual coil setup on the RBA section, flawlessly.
    -Multi adjustable airflow suits both MTL and Lung Hits.
    -Flavour above 0.4ohm is amazing!!!!
    -Compatible with all Goliath coils, so finding ROCC heads is easy at present.
    -No leaks (save for CON number 1 below...).
    -RBA section is easy to build on (two post semi-velocity design), and is a superior vape for a tank.

CONS:
    -If you are stupid like me, and forget to close the juice control before top filling with the ROCC or the RBA section fitted, your hand, table and the mod you have the tank sitting on are going to have a bad time!
    -The ceramic cup in the ROCC section spins freely, and it can take some tinkering to get seated properly so it lines up with the juice control inlet.
    -If you are a high wattage vaper, I'm betting that the top airflow control (on the drip tip) will restrict you, an you will end up changing out for another drip tip.

Not a Pro or a Con, but the tank has a fixed positive pin, so NOT suitable for hybrid mods.

I had the original intention of giving this to my better half after I had played with it, as she is a tank vaper. However, after using it the past days, and seeing its limitations (or lack thereof) I am going to keep it, as have thoroughly enjoyed using it.

The tank is NOT a cloud machine, but can still produce great amounts of vapour, with good flavour. If you are vaping on a TVF4 and want something similar, this is probably not the tank for you. If you like the Subtank or similar and are a flavour chaser, this is a tank I think you might enjoy.

Would I recommend it? Yes.
    Would I buy one now knowing how it performs? Yes.

I am keen for the replacement SCC coils to be sold through vendors so I can get some more.

2. Oldhead

Oldhead Member

Your my new GO TO reviewer.:bowdown:
    Got it for zip, so no agenda (i hope) , covered just about everything you would need to know about a multi coil tank system.
    Now to buy one and see if you need to be edited.:thumbup:

Noe and rupert like this.
  3. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

:D Haha, hope it lives up to my expectations ;)

EDIT: And thanks Oldhead :) Appreciate the kind words.

4. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Superlative review. Thanks.
    I'm interested in going full ceramic.

rupert likes this.
  5. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Nice review mate, adding this to the growing list on the directory :)

Gasman and rupert like this.
  6. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Thanks guys :)

Means a lot coming from you @Noe :) I appreciate it.

7. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Magnificent work Rupert but I don't know whether to thank you as your review has made me want to buy one.

The juice master has added another string to his bow and become the review master.

Only joking Noe!

rupert and sirfoxey like this.
  8. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Thanks mate :)
    This does it for me and hardware reviews I think!

Gasman likes this.
  9. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

No you can't do that after such a tremendous showing.

You could become Australia's answer to the Vaportrail channel and review all things vaping including your juices.

Just think of it you'd be famous.

rupert and sirfoxey like this.
  10. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

Agreed

rupert likes this.
  11. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I don't really have a lot of hardware, well, not expensive stuff anyways.
    All my $$$ goes into DIY stuff :D

Better leave the hardware reviews to those who are better versed than me I think :)

Gasman likes this.
  12. Oldhead

Oldhead Member

Does that mean that just because you dont own a Ferari, (your a shit driver) ???????
    In my experience ,i have found most expensive car owners as Dipshits ,(its all about look at me )
    I dug your review,found it covered all my queries,with NO sugar and spice for extra flavor..
    Vapers help vapers ,thats how we all got here.

Noe, rupert, Aqualung and 1 other person like this.
  13. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

My feelings exactly.

All joking aside I enjoyed your review and definitely found it informative.

Thanks for your time involved.

rupert likes this.
  14. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Excellent review Rupert.
    Better versed? .......... you covered all the bases.
    With so much hardware becoming available so quickly, I wonder if we can rely the established workhorses ( a compliment Noe, truly) to cover everything.
    I would look forward to more reviews from you.

Gasman and rupert like this.
  15. Noe

Such a shame, because your review was pretty good, the one thing I think you could have done to make it better is use clickable thumb pics (so we could see the pics full size if/when we wanted to). Other than that I think you covered the main points vapers are interested in & so your review (and reviewing style) is informative, which is very good.

rupert likes this.
  16. Noe

TBH, I got a bit burnt out doing reviews & didn't review some devices that I should have because of that. As you may have noticed I haven't done any for a while because I've been taking a break but I will have one or two up very soon & I'll try to get a few more out but I want to be able to use & enjoy the gear I have, it's hard to do that when I am constantly testing new gear.

Aqualung likes this.
  17. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Thanks Noe :blush: